Thursday, August 23, 2012

She is as constant as the sunrise...

 
Last night I had to take a medicine that I had never taken before and true to form, I was slightly worried. Husband is out of town and it was just Zeus and Fritz with me. Well, I was concerned that I would have a reaction and possibly croak from the new medicine so I put extra food and water in the bedroom for the pumpkin dogs in case something unfortunate happened, you know, like my death. (Shut up.) Well....fast forward to me telling my mother what I did and cue hysterical laughter on the other end of the phone....I can always count on her to make me feel better or either make me feel so insanely crazy that I laugh myself back to reality.
 
 
We as people tend to take things that we have readily available to us for granted. I have lived away from my mother for too many years now and I long for the days when I could walk into the next room or drive to her house and see her, although I bet she is probably more than a little relieved that I can no longer pop in unannounced and wreak havoc on her day and ask for some type of food that she undoubtedly would have to go create from scratch in the kitchen. Seriously, I used to have devil horns (yes, used to...) and I was not afraid to use them and bless her, she loved me through it all. My mother deserves a medal for enduring morning after morning of screams and hateful looks from me when she would try to wake me up for school, for being attacked by my hairdryer on numerous occasions because she startled me while I was drying my hair, and for spending half of her life talking me off of the many ledges I climbed up on at any given time. You would think that at 30 years old, I wouldn't need her like I did when I was growing up, but I still do. Every single day. And even though half the time I call her because my head is spinning and hissing snakes are flying out of it or I don't know how to turn on the oven, she never fails to be there for me and make me feel less alone, less crazy, and more like everything will be okay. 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I think that is the sweetest thing I have ever read. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...your mom had help on occasions talking you down from those ledges! She did it waaaaaaaay more often than I did tho...she is a saint! Is it weird that I sometimes miss you perched on a ledge?

    ReplyDelete