Thursday, January 5, 2012

Coronado Murders...eek!

So, in case you haven't heard on the news, there were four people killed in an apparent murder-suicide just a couple of hours into the new year. You can read one of the articles about it here.

It is so sad, and so, so mysterious. What could have happened? Why would a Navy guy in pilot training go out downtown with his roommate and his roommate's sister (and another guy) to ring in 2012, then come home and kill everyone, then himself? I am dying to know why.

Why do I care you wonder? Oh, just because it happened two blocks from my house! I mean, that's not the only reason, but it is what everyone in this little town is talking about right now.

Coronado is like Mayberry, but beachy and with mansions. And with a whopping one murder on the books from the entire last year, four in one night has everyone frazzled.

We walked to the beach the day it happened and there was yellow crime scene tape and media trucks galore. Very surreal.

So anyway, I'm freaked out now and on top of the murders there has been this crazy creepy fog that keeps engulfing the island every night. It looks like a death cloud coming from the ocean and it slowly moves inland and as it does, it takes everything out of sight. It is the thickest fog I've ever seen and it gives me shivers. Taking the dogs out for their nightly walk has become dreadful. Like some scene out of a horror movie, you can hear things/voices near you, but can see nothing. Ugh! The husband thinks I am crazy (as usual). When I come back inside at night, I'm all weirded out and saying how creepy it is and his response is..."It's fog, Jenny." As if you can't look out our window and see all the makings of a zombie movie or psycho killer flick. Umm hello, 4 people just got murdered on our sleepy little sweet Mayberry island!....IN the fog I might add! You do the math!

View of the zombie death fog from our balcony

Now I'm in the market for a gun. That's right. I'm going to be ready when the zombies come out of the fog or when the serial killer hits this turns-out-not-so-sweet-Mayberry-wannabe-town.

Since the first time I came here, it felt like the town was a little too perfect. I still love living here, but I can't help but wonder what other "uglies" are not visible. As if I needed anything to flood my already insane/unrealistic/neurotic imagination.

To any literary people who like to make non-existant comparisons and analyze literature and find common themes and other extremely useful things that I, as an English major was taught to do...here is my comparison to this town:

"Beneath it is all dark, it is all spreading,
it is unfathomably deep;
but now and again we rise to the surface
and that is what you see us by." -Virginia Woolf

1 comment:

  1. You painted a perfect picture. That was one of your best. Love ya baby doll!

    ReplyDelete